Keep up to date

Keep up to date with the latest posts David's Bat Blog on Facebook

Monday 3 May 2021

An attic search




Creaking joists. Dusty cobwebs sweep my face. Trying to be silent whilst hunched and balanced. Progress is slow as I sweep my torch carefully.

Amongst the dust clogging my nostrils comes the hint of a different odour: organic, with a tang of urine. The ‘nose’ of bats. I cast around like a bloodhound, searching for the source.

Mouse droppings scattered about, like tiny bricks. Searching for the crumbling ones. Dodging the protruding nails.

The hint of a scratch? Maybe a scuffle? Edge closer, dimming the torch. Peer round a rafter. Scritch-scratch. There! A dozen faces stare back, ears erecting. Expressions like offended spinsters.

I slowly reverse. Stiff, dusty and delighted.


Keep up to date with the latest posts Facebook.com/Davidsbatblog

No comments: